Buying skis and bindings? We'll mount them for you.
The long awaited free pivot binding from TwentyTwo Designs! The Axl skis like the HammerHead, but with an easy to deploy free-pivot mode for touring. Its the first free-pivot binding with three cable guide positions so you can optimize your bindings for your skiing style and snow conditions. It comes with the easy to use HammerHeel climber, and is made of stainless steel and polycarbonate plastic, with our fail-proof military spec aircraft cables. It also uses the HammerHeads proven six hole mounting pattern, and large wings for maximum control.
- Super durable: 2000 lb test cable attachments won't break, toepiece forces transmitted steel-to-steel.
- Over 2" of spring travel for smooth action and durability.
- The spring-loaded HammerHeel is the easiest to use climber available; Flip it up or down with your ski pole. Climbing bails available in 3 sizes, standard bail included.
- Cables routed underfoot for maximum control; plastic boots flex at the bellows instead of tip-toeing.
- Ultra-secure mounting pattern.
- Riser height: 1.1" or 28mm at rear, with a 2 degree ramp.
- Pivot location: directly under pin-line.
- Weight: 3.9 lbs per large pair, 3.7 lbs for small.
- Size Small for Mondo 25 and under, Large for 25.5 and up.
- 2 Year Warranty.
Made in the USA.
- Additional Information
Customer Reviews 2 item(s)
Touring and Adjustability
I love this binding. Beyond having a free pivot, the adjusting the cable guides makes this binding extremely awesome. No encased barrel adjusters that loosen up. Sure they are weighty, other than that, no compromises on this beast. The binding is bombproof and if you are looking for a binding that can tour and have the capability to be both super stiff and old-school soft, (or in between somewhere) then look no further. Oh yeah, and they are made in the USA.
The binding delivers a lot of power to the skis. Caution: I had them cranked down a bit so that there was always some tension while the heel was off the heel piece, and the heel lever broke. I'm not the first one to have this happen. 22 designs says that they got a bad batch of plastic (note: plastic) that didn't meet Read More...
Strong bindingThe binding delivers a lot of power to the skis. Caution: I had them cranked down a bit so that there was always some tension while the heel was off the heel piece, and the heel lever broke. I'm not the first one to have this happen. 22 designs says that they got a bad batch of plastic (note: plastic) that didn't meet spec and have corrected the problem.
They are heavy, but the added weight over the hammerhead is worth it. Climbing in touring mode is much easier. The actuator can be troublesome if it gets packed with ice so become familiar with it prior to getting into the backcountry.
Write Your Own Review