Explore some of the wildest, least-touched trails on over 30 trips that take you into the most spectacular and remote areas in New England. This new guide from the publisher of the Besy Day Hikes series provides a comprehensive look at what you'll need to plan a memorable backpacking trip in a region known for its rugged terrain, majestic forests and exhilarating mountain top views. You'll read about nine wilderness areas, eight state forests, four state parks, two national forests, and a variety of other protected landscapes. Trips are rated by difficulty--from easy to epic--and each description includes photos and regional locator and trip maps. Many trips are loop hikes, simplifying travel planning. Overnight options--including campsites and learn-tos--are also listed, as well as tips on safety and gear to better prepare you for a challenging and rewarding backcountry experience. Whether you're new to backpacking and are looking for a day hike with overnight options, or you're an enthusiast looking for the most remotr trails for an extended journey, this guide will become your essential reference for choosing exciting multi-day backpacking trips.
- Locator and trip maps for easy planning
- Detailed trip descriptions including trip highlights, a list of nearby campsites and lean-tos, and reccommended maps to bring along.
- Summaries of distance in mileage, total elevation, difficulty level, and number of days to complete the trip.
- Helpful information on safety, gear, and wilderness ethics
- Notes on New England geograhy, seasonal weather, and natural history
- Additional Information
Region North East