The Arc'Teryx Beta AR is almost certainly one of the most talked-about hard shell jackets out there, and it comes up in so many conversations thanks to its remarkable versatility. The "AR" stands for "All-Around" in Arc'Teryx lingo, and the Beta is indeed a true all-arounder. From mountaineering to skiing to wearing to the grocery store on a rainy day, it will follow you everywhere thanks to its fusion of high-quality materials and good-looking, easy-to-wear design.
The Beta AR is cut from two different weights of GORE-TEX® Pro fabric, which is widely acclaimed as one of the most "bombproof" fabrics on the market in terms of both waterproofness and durability. The beta AR uses a lighter 40 denier Pro fabric in the body and top of the sleeves, with heavier 150 denier Pro fabric in the shoulders and underside of the sleeves. It features a Drop Hood™ that will fit over a climbing helmet and stay out of the way when you don't need it, and the hip-length cut hits the middle ground between too short and too long to be worn with a harness or backpack.
If you can choose only one hardshell from the Arc'Teryx line, make it the Beta AR. Countless outdoor enthusiasts have done so since 2000, and we've never heard a word of regret.
Feature list from Arc'Teryx (and there are quite a lot of them):
- Weight: 398 g / 14 oz
- DWR finish (Durable Water Repellent) helps bead water from fabric surface
- Micro-seam allowance (1.6 mm) reduces bulk and weight
- Tiny GORE® seam tape (13 mm)
- GORE-TEX® three-layer construction
- Laminated high-strength hanger loop
- Fully seam-sealed for waterproofness
- Generous cut for easy layering
- One-hand adjustable drawcords
- Anatomical shaping for fit and comfort
- Gender specific patterning
- Articulated patterning for unrestricted mobility
- Articulated elbows
- No-lift gusseted underarms
- Laminated brim
- Glove-friendly hood adjusters
- Helmet compatible Drop Hood™
- Laminated chin guard
- WaterTight™ external zippers
- Molded zipper garages
- Laminated pit zippers allow for faster venting
- Corded zipper-pulls reduce noise and are easy to grab
- WaterTight™ Vislon front zip
- Laminated die-cut Velcro® cuff adjusters reduce bulk, and won't catch or tear off
- Drop back hem
- Laminated hem
- Adjustable hem drawcord
- Internal chest pocket with laminated zip
- Note: Our WaterTight™ zippers are highly water resistant, but not waterproof. We do not recommend keeping items in your pockets that may be damaged by moisture
- Two high-volume hand pockets
- Embroidered logo
- Non-chafing label
- Adjustable elastic waist drawcord
Ever since their founding in Vancouver in 1989, Arc’Teryx has been producing products that demonstrate their philosophy of evolution in action. The company’s mascot, Archaeopteryx Lithographica, was the first reptile to sprout feathers and free itself from the constraints of the horizontal world. Like Archaeopteryx, Arc’Teryx is constantly pursuing new innovations that allow you to do the same.
GearX.com customers often ask why Arc’Teryx items are comparatively expensive. The answer is that unlike other brands which try to hit many different price points for many different customers, Arc’Teryx goes all-out in design and materials on every item they make, whether it’s a mountaineering shell or a cotton t-shirt. This uncompromising commitment to making the best items possible is the true value of the brand.
- Additional Information
Year Fall 2012 Material Synthetic Properties Uninsulated, Water Resistant, Wind Resistant Usage Rainwear, Ice Climbing, Mountaineering, Ski/Snowboard