Created for backcountry skiing and snowboarding, but flexible enough for a range of winter mountain sports, the Fission Mitten is built warm, dry and tough. It combines the proven waterproof breathable protection of GORE-TEX® XCR product technology with the efficient thermal performance of three types of Primaloft® insulation. The hardwearing Fortius™ 1.0 softshell outer delivers stretch with abrasion resistance. Rugged, supple leather reinforces the palm and fingers and helps provide a secure grip.
The Fission uses three types of PrimaLoft® insulation selected and mapped to provide effective warmth, extended durability and high levels of ergonomic performance. On the back of the hand, an area more exposed to cold, lofty 133 g PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation is used for maximum warmth. A layer of 100 g PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation Hi-Loft is added to the back to extend wear, particularly in high flexion areas. In the palm and fingers, areas where dexterity, grip and durability are critical, denser 100g PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation Eco with Grip Control is used. This denser insulation has a lower profile with less bulk, resists packing out with use, provides warmth when compressed, and enables a higher level of ergonomic freedom.
Warmth is a focus. The Fission has an inner cuff that seals out drafts, retains heat, and is DWR treated to help prevent accumulation of snow and external moisture. Elastic at the back of the wrist automatically adjust the fit to further improve heat retention. The long gauntlet provides added coverage, easily layers over a jacket, and can be closed and opened with the mittens on. Because it’s used where abrasion is a consistent reality and a secure grip is essential, the Fission’s palm and fingers are reinforced with longwearing, supple leather. Wrist leashes help prevent loss and can be removed when not needed. A webbing loop allows the mittens to be clipped together with a carabiner for ease of transport or to speed drying.
- Soft, brushed lining adds light insulation
- DWR treated nylon inner cuff sheds snow and moisture
- Removable wrist leash
- Elasticated back of the wrist that self adjusts to trap heat
- Pull to open/pull to close gauntlet
- Finger-mounted clip-in loop enables mittens to be attached to a carabiner with finger-tips facing up, eliminating snow-fill
- GORE-TEX® XCR® Technology
- Fortius 1.0™—84% nylon, 16% elastane, 160 g/m². Lightweight, durable, non-insulated, stretchy nylon/spandex blend textile.
- 133g PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation
- 100g PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation Eco with Grip Control
- 100g Primaloft® Silver Insulation Hi-Loft
- Additional Information
Material Synthetic Properties Insulating