Let's address the elephant in the room right off the bat: this is the most expensive ski jacket that we carry. So what accounts for such a price tag? As always, it's a function of materials, design, and construction.
The outer shell of the Modon is a mixture of 70 and 80 denier GORE-TEX® Pro fabric, which is widely acclaimed as one of the most "bombproof" fabrics on the market in terms of waterproofness and durability. The Pro outer fabric combines with Coreloft™ Compact insulation, which provides low-profile warmth for making big turns in high, cold places. The Coreline™ liner fabric is comfortable next to skin, should you choose to wear this jacket that way in a casual setting.
Arc'Teryx doesn't just spare no expense when it comes to materials; they spend plenty of effort on the design phase as well, and the feature list below should be a testament to that. The distinctive silhouette and design of the hood clearly identifies it as an Arc'Teryx jacket, whether you can see logo on it or not. The tiny seam tolerances are another Arc'Teryx hallmark, which you can get a good view of when you see the jacket in person.
Bottom Line: A top-of-the-line ski jacket for skiing big powder on the world's biggest mountains.
(Extensive) Feature list from Arc'Teryx:
- GORE-TEX® three-layer construction
- Micro-seam allowance (1.6 mm) reduces bulk and weight
- Taped seams for added weatherproofness
- Smooth inner face-fabric allows for easy layering
- Articulated elbows
- No-lift gusseted underarms
- Adjustable hood drawcords
- Helmet compatible Drop Hood™
- Stealth hood adjusters
- Soft hood brim
- Insulated collar
- Laminated chin guard with brushed microsuede facing for added comfort
Zippers & Fly Configuration
- Pit zippers for easy venting
- Zipper garages to protect zipper closure from snow and rain
- Webbing zipper pulls
- Full length Vislon front zip with windflap
Cuff & Sleeves Configuration
- Easy-sliding sleeve lining won't bind on other layers
- Laminated die-cut Velcro® cuff adjusters reduce bulk, and won't catch or tear off
- Adjustable hem drawcord
- Two high-volume hand pockets with zips
- Internal chest pocket with zip
- Internal oversize mesh pocket
- Powder skirt with gripper elastic and snap closure
- Mesh-lined powder guard vents for breathability, designed to prevent snow from entering clothing
- Lift pass loop
- Hidden Recco® reflector
- N80p-X GORE-TEX® Pro 3L
- N70p GORE-TEX® Pro 3L
- 200 gm/m² PrimaLoft®
- Coreline™ liner fabric
- Coreloft™ Compact 80 gm/m² insulation
Ever since their founding in Vancouver in 1989, Arc’Teryx has been producing products that demonstrate their philosophy of evolution in action. The company’s mascot, Archaeopteryx Lithographica, was the first reptile to sprout feathers and free itself from the constraints of the horizontal world. LikeArchaeopteryx, Arc’Teryx is constantly pursuing new innovations that allow you to do the same.
GearX.com customers often ask why Arc’Teryx items are comparatively expensive. The answer is that unlike other brands which try to hit many different price points for many different customers, Arc’Teryx goes all-out in design and materials on every item they make, whether it’s a mountaineering shell or a cotton t-shirt. This uncompromising commitment to making the best items possible is the true value of the brand.
- Additional Information
Material Synthetic Properties Insulating
You may also be interested in the following product(s)