From the author/illustrator team that produced the bestselling Reading the Forested Landscape comes this fascinating and beautiful natural history of North America's granite summit balds.
Tom Wessels synthesizes history, geology, biology, and personal narrative to enhance our understanding and appreciation of these high, wild places. He explores the unique and fragile ecosystem that is common to exposed granite expanses from Acadia to Yosemite-how it evolved slowly over millennia, and how it is threatened today by foot traffic and overuse. Wessels' dramatic photographs and Brian Cohen's beautifully detailed illustrations bring the denizens of the granite bald to life.
- Acadia National Park in Maine
- The White Mountains of New Hampshire
- The Adirondacks of New York
- The Wind Rivers of Wyoming
- The Beartooths of Montana
- The Enchantments of Washington
- Yosemite National Park in California
- Additional Information