New for 2013, Gregory's Cairn 58 pack takes many of the best comfort and convenience features of the company's well-known big packs and delivers them in a package that weighs nearly two pounds less than its deluxe counterparts.
If you did any shopping for Gregory backpacks in the last couple of years, you probably remember that there were two distinct options in the 60-70 liter backpacking category: the Baltoro and Deva series offered the Response AFS suspension, with well-padded, pre-curved, interchangeable shoulder straps and a hipbelt that pivoted up and down to adapt to different hip angles; and the Z and Jade series, whose Jetstream suspension offered lighter weight and more ventilation, but with less padding/structure and customizability.
The new Response LT suspension developed for the Cairn series incorporates a lightweight version of the pivoting hipbelt found on Gregory's previous large packs. The shoulder straps are similarly slimmed-down, but not floppy, thanks to Gregory's new Monobond four-layer strap architecture, which combines with the wishbone-shaped wire frame in the Cairn 58 to take on loads up to 45 pounds.
The Cairn 58 also features the new Trail Smart packing system, which divides the pack into three distinct zones: one for camp gear, one for gear that might be needed during the day on the trail, and one for a camera/snacks/other gear you want to access without taking the pack off. You could organize any other pack in the same way, of course, but Gregory wants to make it easier for beginners. See the video below for the breakdown.
All in all, the Cairn series is the new "sports car" of the Gregory backpacking lineup: streamlined, easy on the eyes, and ready for fast hiking.
Feature list from Gregory:
- Response™ LT Suspension
- Women's-specific fit and design
- Wishbone Wire frame
- Response™ LT formed auto-fit waistbelt with ventilated air channels
- Harness features MonoBond™ Architecture with thermo-bonded, four layer construction
- Contoured backpanel with breathable spacer mesh and ventilated air channels
- Trail Smart™ Packing System with organization for Camp, Trail and On-the-Go gear
- Highly water resistant top pocket with water proof zipper and sealed seems
- Integrated, color-matched rain cover
- External hydration sleeve attaches directly to internal frame
- Side stash security pocket
- Quick draw closure on main access
- Stash pocket on underside of the top lid
- Large front dump pocket
- Twin oversize side pockets
- Dual waistbelt pockets
- Two-stage compression on lower bag and over main top opening
- Incorporates both 420D and 100D Robic fabrics with UTS coating for the highest possible strength to weight ratio
Size Volume Weight Torso Length XS 3417 in³/ 65 L 3 lb 11 oz / 1.67 kg 14" - 16" S 3539 in³ / 58 L 3 lb 13 oz / 1.72 kg 16" - 18" M 3661 in³ / 60 L 3 lb 15 oz / 1.79 kg 18" - 20"
Gregory's Product Video:
Since 1977, Gregory Mountain Products has been a pioneering force in the backpack industry. They were the first to build backpacks with different frame, harness, and waist sizes; the first (and still only) pack manufacturer to develop a waistbelt system that adjusts to fit different hip angles and improves load transfer; and the first to develop the center-locking bar tack, a stitch that ends and locks off on the center of a seam instead of the side for increased strength at major stress points. From the earliest days, Gregory packs were noted for innovative design, ergonomic and comfortable fit, and their obsession with quality, comfort, and durability continues today.
- Additional Information
Collection Spring Cleaning Sale