Big trips, big volume, Big Bend. The cavernous 90-liter volume of the Kelty Big Bend will consume just about anything you'd care to throw into it - sleeping bags, tents, bear canisters, and maybe even your child when they get tired of walking. (Disclaimer: GearX does not endorse this practice and recommends that you only use a child carrier approved by relevant consumer safety authorities). Access from the top, front, and sides makes it easy to get all that stuff out once you've piled it in.
Now, how is it possible that you could get such a big pack for such a small price? Besides the saavy of GearX's buyers, there are a few factors in play:
- The Big Bend is only available in one size, so the fit isn't quite as customized as more expensive models might be. According to Kelty, it fits torsos from 16 to 22 inches. That's the distance from the crest of your hips to the base of your neck.
- Ultralight, this pack is not - it weighs in at 5.1 pounds. But much of that weight is in the 210 denier nylon used for the body and the 1000 denier nylon used for the bottom, which are durable enough to withstand being dropped on the ground for years on end.
THE BOTTOM LINE: You can take it with you, if you've got Kelty's Big Bend on your back.
Feature list from Kelty:
- Top-loading main compartment with drawcord storm shield.
- Front-access secondary compartment with zip divider.
- Lateral and vertical compression straps.
- Hydration compatible (bladder not included).
- Sleeping pad tie points.
- Front and side zip cargo pockets.
- Zip lid pocket.
- Front mesh pocket.
- Side mesh water bottle pocket.
- Padded mesh back panel.
- Fully-adjustable padded shoulder straps and waistbelt.
- Adjustable sternum strap.
- Internal frame Fits torsos: 16-22" (41-56cm)
- Dimensions (LxWxD): 37-½ x 17 x 13-½" (95cm x 44cm x 34cm)
- Capacity: 5500 cu.in. (91L)
- Weight: 5.1 lb ? (2.3kg)
- 210 denier ripstop nylon with 1000 denier nylon bottom
Since 1952, Kelty has built affordable, reliable outdoor gear that enables everyone, from the first-time camper to the experienced mountaineer, to embrace any experience with confidence. They are the Active Family Experts.
- Additional Information