The Marmot Guide's Down Sweater is the epitome of the classic, essential down jacket - being the product that more or less launched Marmot into existence back in the 70s - and now it's available with a warm, insulated hood. Warmer and heavier than an ultralight sweater like the Marmot Zeus or Ares jackets, the Guides Down Hoody stands on its own just fine as temperatures head for the zero mark, and can withstand even more frigid temperatures if you're on the move rather than standing around. Marmot suggests that the Guides Down Hoody also works well under a shell, although it's a little thick for midlayer duty in our eyes; we don't doubt that it would work very well, as long as the fit of your shell is relaxed enough.
Feature list from Marmot:
- Attached Down-Filled Hood
- Zippered Handwarmer Pockets - Soft Fabric to Warm Hands
- Zippered Chest Pocket - To Secure Small Items
- Interior Zippered Pocket
- Wind Flap Behind Front Zipper - Protects Against Drafts
- Adjustable Velcro® Cuff - Adjustable Velcro Cuff
- Elastic Draw Cord Hem - For Adjustability in Serious Weather
- Angel-Wing Movement™ - Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesn't Ride Up
- Center Back Length: 28.5in / 72.4cm
- Overall Weight: 1 lbs 7.2 oz / 657.7 g
- Main Material: 100% Polyester Ripstop DWR 1.6 oz/yd
- Lining Material: 100% Polyester Embossed WR 1.8 oz/yd
- Insulation Material: 650 Fill Goose Down
In April 1971, University of California Santa Cruz students Eric Reynolds and Dave Huntley were in Alaska on the Juneau Icefields on a school project in Glaciology. It was here on the glacier, amongst these students, that the idea of a Marmot club began. To become a Marmot, you had to climb a glaciated peak with another Marmot. One of the rules of the club was that everyone was president. Most of the other rules dealt with the collegiate fascination with bodily functions.
Eric and Dave went on to found Marmot Mountain Works in 1974, and through the years the company made lots of innovations in down jackets, sleeping bags, Gore-Tex apparel, and beyond. Their modest enterprise is now one of the largest and most respected outdoor gear companies in the world, distributed in over 60 countries, and it is still all about the highest-quality, innovative performance products.
- Additional Information
Material Down Properties Insulating
You may also be interested in the following product(s)