The Marmot Zion Jacket was one of the first jackets anywhere to incorporate Polartec Neoshell waterproof fabric, and (we would argue) it remains the best soft-shell Neoshell offering on the market. What's so special about it, you ask? The Zion is a waterproof softshell jacket - not the first waterproof softshell, but almost certainly the best. Read on to find out why.Until the advent of Neoshell, the way to make a waterproof softshell was to take a standard waterproof membrane and mate it with softshell fabric. The results were often underwhelming - such jackets would lose the breathability and temperature-regulating ability that makes soft shells appealing to begin with, and they weren't as light or packable as many standard hard-shell waterproof jackets. The Zion also mates a waterproof membrane with soft shell fabric: but this time, it's not just any waterproof membrane.
What sets Neoshell apart is the fact that it is functionally waterproof (10,000mm water column) and yet highly air permeable, more so than any other waterproof membrane on the market. This allows it to have the temperature-regulating properties and wide range of comfort that a soft shell offers, while still being waterproof enough to not soak through the rain. Voila - two jackets in one.
Feature list from Marmot:
- Polartec® Neoshell® Waterproof/Breathable Stretch Softshell Fabric
- Marmot M1 Softshell - Water-Resistant, Breathable, Windproof, Durable, Warm, Stretch
- 100% Seam Taped - For Full Waterproofness
- Attached Storm Hood with Laminated Brim
- Water-Resistant CF Zipper
- Chest Pocket with Water-Resistant Zipper - Chest Pocket with W/R Zipper
- Pack Pockets™ with Water-resistant Zippers - Pack Pockets with Water-resistant Zippers
- Sleeve Pocket with Water-Resistant Zipper - Sleeve Pocket with W/R Zipper
- Asymmetric Cuffs with Velcro Adjustment
- Internal Zip Pocket
- Elastic Draw Cord Hem - For Adjustability in Serious Weather
- Angel-Wing Movement™ - Allows Full Range of Motion in Arms so Jacket Doesn't Ride Up
- 29" Center Back Length for Size Medium
- Center Back Length: 29in / 73.7cm
- Weight: 1 lbs 8.1 oz / 683.2 g
- Main Material: Polartec® Neo Shell® 79% Polyester,14% Polyurethane, 7% Elastane 8.0 oz/yd
In April 1971, University of California Santa Cruz students Eric Reynolds and Dave Huntley were in Alaska on the Juneau Icefields on a school project in Glaciology. It was here on the glacier, amongst these students, that the idea of a Marmot club began. To become a Marmot, you had to climb a glaciated peak with another Marmot. One of the rules of the club was that everyone was president. Most of the other rules dealt with the collegiate fascination with bodily functions.
Eric and Dave went on to found Marmot Mountain Works in 1974, and through the years the company made lots of innovations in down jackets, sleeping bags, Gore-Tex apparel, and beyond. Their modest enterprise is now one of the largest and most respected outdoor gear companies in the world, distributed in over 60 countries, and it is still all about the highest-quality, innovative performance products.
- Additional Information
Year Fall 2012 Material Synthetic Properties Uninsulated, Water Resistant, Wind Resistant Usage No