The South Col 70 is a one-pack solution for mountaineering expeditions on the world's highest peaks. The flexible design and highly evolved compression system lets you add and remove components as well as shrink and expand the pack as needed. OutDry construction bonds a durable waterproof membrane to the main compartment so that your gear stays safe and dry in even the wettest conditions.
Waterproof backpacks have been a frequent customer request at Outdoor Gear Exchange for years, and it's easy to understand why. You don't want your stuff to get wet, and you don't want to have to cart along a pack cover all the time. But until now, waterproof backpacks have tended to fall into two categories: drybag-like, roll-top models with few to no external features; and fully-featured, seam-taped models that cost a fortune. That was until Mountain Hardwear applied their innovative OutDry technology to backpacks.
Originally found in backpacks and gloves, OutDry is a process that bonds laser-cut, one-piece waterproof membranes to fabric using heat and pressure. The result is seamless waterproof protection that requires no seam sealing or seam taping, and leaves no space between the outer fabric and waterproof membrane like sewn-in bladder-style waterproofing does. The result is a backpack with always-on waterproof protection that doesn't sacrifice any features and doesn't cost $800 like some previous waterproof backpacks did.
- OutDry membrane construction main compartment keeps your gear safe and dry
- Flexible design concept allows removing or adding pack components for optimal versatility
- HardWave suspension conforms comfortably to the curve of your back and distributes weight evenly but is removable for carrying light loads
- Multiple lash points and long compression webbing allow for overloads while effectively reducing volume as needed to keep any size load stable
- Large zippered front pocket allows storage of frequently needed items or tools and maintains volume even when main compartment is full
- Easy access crampon stash pocket
- Intuitive, easy to secure and adjust ice-ax / ice tool carry system with pass through sleeve to conceal picks
- Super-strong X-Ply Ripstop front panel offers extreme abrasion resistance and tear strength at an incredibly light weight
- Great load transfer through an aluminum perimeter stay that locks into hipbelt while allowing slight pivoting
- Dual-density shoulder straps carry in comfort
- Removable padded waist belt, with gear loops, adds stability
- Swap the padded waist belt for a webbing belt (included) when carrying lighter loads
- Removable top pocket with zippered security pocket inside for valuables
- Reinforced grab handle ensures safe hauling when needed
- Deep wand or picket pockets with hook and loop closure
- Materials: Body 400D HD Nylon; Accent HardWear™ X-Ply Ripstop; Bottom 840D HT Ballistic Nylon
Size Volume Weight Torso Range S/M 4270 cu. in. / 70 L 3 lb. 15 oz. / 1.77 kg 16.0 in. - 19.0 in. / 41 cm - 48 cm M/L 4575 cu. in. / 75 L 4 lb. 2 oz. / 1.86 kg 18.5 in. - 22.0 in. / 47 cm - 56 cm
- Additional Information
Intended Use Alpine & Ice Climbing, Hiking/Backpacking