Wind has always been the enemy of ultra-light upright canister stoves. Using a windscreen is not really an option, because it will reflect heat down onto the fuel canister - a dangerous situation. Soto's new Windmaster stove, however, has engineered novel solutions to protect its flame from the wind, allowing it to keep boiling water in wind speeds that would cause ordinary stoves to sputter and go out.
The Windmaster's secrets are its concave burner head with a ledge that acts as a micro-windscreen, and its close fit to the pots that sit above it. By reducing the wind exposure of its flame, the Windmaster is able to boil water in less time, conserving fuel. In a laboratory test with a wind velocity of 2.8 meters per second (just 6 miles per hour), the Windmaster was able to boil 500 mL of water in just over 5 minutes (consuming 15-20 grams of gas) while two competing stoves had still not brought the water to a boil after 10 minutes and more than 50 grams of gas expenditure.
The Windmaster also features Soto's Micro Regulator system, which improves cold-weather performance and allows the Windmaster to keep consistent boiling times at temperatures as low as -5°C (23°F). Traditional needle-valve systems control the flow of gas by twisting the needlepoint to adjust the flow of fuel. When temperatures drop and liquefied gas becomes colder, internal pressure drops, resulting in a reduced flow of gas into the burner head. This produces an inadequate flame for cooking. The Micro Regulator System maintains a consistent pressure under cold and hot ambient temperatures.
- Output: 2800 kcal/h 3260w 11000 BTU
- Duration: Burns approx.1.5 hours with 8 oz.(250g) canister.
- Weight: 2.3 oz.(67g) with the pot support
- Dimensions when in use (Stove body + Pot support): 3.6 x 4.7 x 3.9 inch (9.0 x 11.7 x 9.7 cm)
- Dimensions when stowed (Stove body only): 1.9 x 3.6 x 3.5 inch (4.7 x 9.0 x 8.8 cm)
- Dimensions when stowed (Pot support): 3.7 x 0.4 x 1.0 inch (9.4 x 1.0 x 3.3 cm)
- Fuel canister sold separately (we can't ship flammable items to you in the mail).
- Additional Information